Hello! San Juanico Bridge....

This is my road trip to Calbayog City, Samar from Tacloban City, Leyte & I was amazed when we passed the San Juanico Bridge. This is one of my great experience for me as my adventures because we travelled for almost 5 hours and half of way with rough road. My reason of journey is because due to my work and I was assigned to go to Calbayog City to visit one of our Fast food Branches.

The San Juanico Bridge, formerly the Marcos Bridge, is a bridge in the Philippines stretching from Samar to Leyte crossing the San Juanico Strait. It is part of the Pan-Philippine Highway. Designed by engineer Arvin Valderrama with the help of engineer Christian Meynard Baral, it is the longest bridge in the Visayas with a length of 2.16 kilometers and is considered one of the most beautifully-designed bridges in Philippines. The bridge is supported by 43 spans rising 41 meters above the sea. It has a large arch beneath which allows boats to pass.

Connecting Tacloban City on the Leyte side and Santa Rita town on the Samar side, it offers many picturesque views, especially of the San Juanico Strait with its thousand whirlpools as well as the islets of the province. It is approximately 10 minutes from downtown Tacloban City and is accessible by passenger jeepney, bus, motorcab or private vehicle.

Construction on the 21.9 million-dollar bridge began in 1969 and was completed in 1973, during the presidency of Ferdinand Marcos. The Construction and Development Corporation of the Philippines (now the Philippine National Construction Corporation) was contracted to construct the actual bridge, and together with Japanese engineers, conducted studies and designed the actual project.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I think this is a nice bridge :D
Anonymous said…
I want to see this bridge.... Wish I could make a stop here.